Step into Dance Ambassadors
The Step into Dance Ambassador scheme provides talented and enthusiastic young people with the opportunity to learn new skills that will equip them to support a range of events, projects and performances throughout the year 2018-19.
We are looking for 25 young people with a passion for dance who want to develop their knowledge and experience of working in the dance industry.
As an Ambassador, you will:
- Receive training in public speaking, vlogging, reviewing dance and much more
- Work with professionals from the dance sector including dance producers, dance writers, dance artists
- Contribute ideas that can help us grow the Step into Dance programme and events
- Raise awareness of Step into Dance programme at your school and your local area
- Take part in various Step into Dance including Into Hip Hop Dance, Step Around Town, Step Live
- Help promote the values of Step into Dance and the RAD using online blogs, social media and video diaries
The following dates for training and events are compulsory for all Step into Dance Ambassadors, please check you are available for these essential sessions, your availability will be considered in the selection process.
20 January 2019
18-20 February 2019
24 March 2019
12 May 2019
16 June 2019
9 December 2018
2nd February 2019
TBC March-May 2019
24 June 2019
TBC July 2019
To be eligible for this opportunity, you must:
- Be in Year 8-13 (12-18 years old)
- Have a minimum of 2 years dance experience
- Currently or previously taken part in the Step into Dance programme at one of our partnering schools across London and Essex or as part of one of the Step Companies in a previous year
Please note that Company dancers 2018-19 are not eligible to be Ambassadors due to the clash of commitments.
Students can apply by completing this form: https://goo.gl/forms/gKkPriA7hkYLupqE2
Teachers can nominate upto 3 students from their school by completing this form: https://goo.gl/forms/pfVUCRw2Ejhjr2TC2
Deadline for applications is Monday 26 November 2018
Previous Ambassador Schemes:
In 2017-18, we recruited and worked with 24 young people who attended four training days at the Royal Academy of Dance with in-house and guest workshop leaders. The Ambassadors provided events support across the Step into Dance calendar including Spring Sharings and Step Live: Copy and Paste.
Ambassadors were given the opportunity to work towards a Bronze Arts Award qualification.
Feedback from former Ambassadors and parents:
"The training has improved my exposure to dance and I am now more open to learning about different dance styles." Ambassador 2018
"I have been able to get an insight of what it is like at a professional dance company." Ambassador 2018
"It gave me an incredible amount of confidence – it sounds cliché but I feel so much more comfortable in social situations and during performances." Ambassador 2017
"She had a great time at the Ambassadors' Day and her confidence has noticeably increased since". parent of Ambassador 2016
Photo Credit: Foteini Christofilopoulou